Our school uses ‘Inspire Maths’ materials because they are grounded in recent educational research, acknowledging that a concrete – pictorial – abstract approach is the best way to ensure secure foundations and a deep understanding of mathematical concepts:
All children are encouraged to use materials at all stages of their maths learning, such as Base 10, place value counters, straws and multilink. This helps to develop their understanding around a particular concept, as well as creating ‘mental models and images’ from this to consolidate their understanding.
We are confident that this is the best approach to teach maths at Crossley Hall because:
- There is a big emphasis on reasoning and problem solving, which allows our children to achieve mastery in maths
- The text books and pupil workbooks are carefully designed to deepen understanding at every opportunity
- Our teachers have high quality, structured materials that provide an excellent starting point for planning outstanding teaching for learning.
- All children move through a unit of learning at the same and they mostly sit in mixed-ability groups.
- Mathematical vocabulary is developed as the children must always answer questions using full sentences.
- We are able to identify children who need further support quickly, and provide same-day interventions every day.